welcome


Welcome in my special space - get yourself a cuppa and stay for a while!!
Please leave a comment, that way I get to know you too...

Saturday 1 October 2011

http://thisdomesticlife.blogspot.com/ posted this- what a great find


Work in Progress: My First Crocheted Rag Rug


My first crocheted rag rug.
My kitchen rug died. The rubber backing crumbled to bits and skuzzied up my wash machine. I hate when that happens.

I went to the store to replace it but they wanted $55.  Forget that.

I've been seeing some gorgeous crocheted rag rugs on the Internet. Some of them are works of pure folk art and make my heart go pitter patter.

I thought I might give it a try. This is, after all, a great stash busting opportunity.



IMG_8332
So I gathered my fabric stash and started turning my fat quarters into strips to make "yarn."



IMG_8334

In the beginning my little rug looked like vomit. I was getting discouraged but I kept adding color.

No fancy shapes, here. This is just a circle.

Start with a magic ring with 6 stitches.
Working in the back loops only:
Row 2: 2 sc in each stitch (12 sc)
Row 3: 1 sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next (18 sc)
Row 4: 1 sc in the next 2 sts, 2 sc, around (24)
Row 5: 1 sc in the next 3 sts, 2 sc, around (30)
Row 6: 1 sc in the next 4 sts, 2 sc, around (36)
Row 7: 1 sc in the next 5 sts, 2 sc, around (42)


and so forth. Increasing by six sts in each new row.



Rag rug:
The size of a large pizza.

No one tells you this, so I will. Working with fabric "yarn" is tough work at first. It's chunky and clunky and awkward. Since I crochet tight by nature, I am probably half the problem.

But the results are worth it. I live playing with colors and this is just the project I need.

Even Mr. Awesome is interested in this project which is odd.

I am out of fabric so I am off to the store to get some more. Don't you just hate having to go to the craft store? Hahahaha.
Add starShareShare with noteKeep unread

    No comments:

    Post a Comment